We just had a year of IVF attempts. Outlook was very depressing. Somehow, it worked after multiple tries. I'm knitting a Tulips cardigan now.
Here are some employer-safe bullet points:
- IVF is expensive. Most insurance plans in the U.S. won't cover it.
- IVF is emotionally draining. That sentence is inadequate.
- IVF doesn't always work, despite popular media coverage.
- There was no indication whatsoever that I would experience infertility. None. Zip, zero, zilch. It just is.
- PSA: Ladies, go get your levels checked. Your OB/GYN says she knows all about infertility but in fact she doesn't know squat. Instead, tell her to check your AMH levels. If they're below 1.5, go see a reproductive endocrinologist. Think it couldn't be you? Think there's no possible way because you eat your veggies every day? I hope you're right. But you should know enough to make informed choices.
- Never, ever tell someone to "just relax."
I suspect that me saying this will accomplish for other people about as much as ordinary marital boinking did for us. But I'm categorically unable to go to sleep unless I've said a thing that I think needs to be said. And I could use some rest. It's been a long year.
So about that knitting.If all goes well, the kid shows up in January, which means an opportunity for newborn wool sweaters if you're not saddened by the idea of her outgrowing it after 3 minutes, cotton/bamboo/linen/hemp for much of the year, and then hitting the wool cycle again for the 1-year size.
As for the future of this blog? I imagine I'll drop in here once in a while. These few months are my time to recover my sanity before losing it again. I'm packing the days with knitting, reading (Graham Greene's The Quiet American, currently - fascinating novel), seeing friends, cooking, going to movies, seeing new places. It's sort of astonishing to go for walks in the evening and look at the grass or the sidewalks and feel something besides despair.
Thanks, friends. Hope you're well in the yarnworld, wherever you are.
Tulips, with Knit Picks Swish Worsted: