Thursday, November 1, 2007

The guy did die after 26 miles, you know...

I foolishly signed up for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), mostly to take advantage of a motivational tool and in the slender hopes that I can finish this novel of mine pronto.

The concept of NaNoWriMo is that during the month of November one writers 50,000 words. They don't have to be good, they just have to be words.

Regardless, this still breaks down to roughly 1,666 words per night.

I recall the feeling I had at the beginning of every high school cross-country race I ever ran: "Why on earth did I sign up for this punishment?"

I have written over 800 words tonight and desperately want to go to bed. But not tonight, not the first day. I must keep running! And I must stop writing blog posts instead of running.

On another night, this blog will feature a tract on why anything becomes more desireable than writing once the subject becomes required. ("Gosh, wouldn't it be fun to scrub the toilet?")

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Haha. I had that exact same thought right before cross-country and track meets, starting with the first steps I took when getting off the bus upon arrival to the meet site.

The butterflies in my stomach would just SOAR! You suddenly realize the pressure is just on you, not on an entire team, but just on you. That's a scary thought. "Wouldn't it be nice if I could rely on a strong point guard or a forward today?" I would think. "Why did I pick this sport?"

Kara said...

You are a brave woman. Good luck!