Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Absurdism reaches fresh heights

My fellah gave me a DVD copy of The Princess Bride as a little Valentine's gift. On the commentary, Carey Elwes (Wesley) says that during the shooting, Andre the Giant told him a story about when he was younger.

Andre suffered from gigantism, which is exactly what it sounds like. By the time he was a teenager in France, he couldn't fit on the school bus. His parents couldn't afford a car. So, the neighbor, a nice fellow, gave him a ride in his large vehicle.

The neighbor was Samuel Beckett.

I don't want to know if this story is not true. It's too beautiful to dismiss.

I can imagine it now:

SAM: We must go on.
ANDRE: I can't go on.
SAM: We must go to school.
ANDRE: I won't fit.
SAM: Shall I give you a lift?
(He doesn't move.)

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I've studied Samuel Beckett extensively- the story is true. Oh- so beautifully true.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad to hear that. So very glad. Thank you for telling me!