Friday, February 23, 2007

A very Austin sort of day

Today, I did three things which I did not expect to do when I woke up at 8 a.m. This makes it the perfect example of a very Austin sort of day.

In the morning, I got stitches. (Don't worry, Mom.)

In the afternoon, I saw Barack Obama.

In the evening, I attended a Lonestar Rollergirls match.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

The stitches were just to remove a couple moles that have a 2 percent chance of turning dangerous. One happened to be a bit deeper than I expected, that's all.

I'd heard Barack Obama was coming to Austin, but I assumed it was a $250 per plate kind of event. Nope! Thanks to the UT Democrats, I (along with 20,000 other people) attended a rally at Riverside and South 1st. In fact, my boss told me to leave work so I could go.

I like Barack Obama. I'm as nervous about his relative inexperience as anyone else, but if you listen to the man speak, he has very sound, intelligent ideas, and he is so great at communicating them. (That alone is worth your vote, after 8 years of Dubya.) He has great international experience, and he's also worked as a community organizer on the South Side of Chicago. IE, he hasn't just heard about poor people on TV.

I' m disturbed that already so many people are refusing to vote for Obama because they say he's a Muslim. For one thing... he's not. He's a member of a big church in Chicago. For another, it's too bad that the simple possibility of someone being Muslim is enough to discount them from holding office. There are non-radical Muslims out there who have good ideas, just as there are non-radical Christians like Obama who have much to offer.




Anyway. At 5:30, my fellah scored two free tickets to the AIGA Awards, thanks to one of the referees for the Lonestar Rollergirls. The Rollergirls (for you non-Austinites, they are among our favorite local celebrities) were the featured entertainment at the advertising and graphic design awards presentation.

Think WWF meets Hooters on rollerskates. Every time they go down in a heap and start pummeling each other, the referees gleefully dive in.

Is it any wonder I was ready for bed by 11:00?

No comments: