Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Was Mamet always this crazy?

Last night, I caught David Mamet on Charlie Rose. He said, among other things, that young writers should not get a university education, because universities teach antisemitism.

Dang, I knew I shouldn't have skipped that class.

He also made a lot of political assertions, both before and after he complained about Hollywood celebrities who make public political statements. When Charlie Rose pointed out this contradiction, and asked him why he feels he can comment on Isreal's politics, Mamet snapped, "Because I'm Jewish." Okey-dokey.

It reminds me of an interview I did with the fellah in charge of Artspark, here in Austin. Sometimes, you can tell when the person you're talking to has wandered into deep waters but forgot to bring his floaties.

No comments: