Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Green-Go!

Three of my four 2008 FOs thus far have been obligations -- finishing off, quick gifts, or something else that made me say, "Eh." I haven't completed something bragworthy in over a couple months.

Until now!



pattern: DROPS 103-1 Cardigan, found here.
completed: March 11, 2008. Buttons to come!
yarn: South West Trading Company Gianna (50% wool, 50% soysilk; 41.5 m/45 y; 50 g; green; 13.5 skeins. This yarn usually comes in larger skeins.)
made for: me
needles: size 10.5
notes: Squee! A sweater that turned out just the way I'd hoped! The bulky yarn had some knots and it did make my fingers hurt a bit, but beyond that, it turned out to be a perfect substitute. The FO feels much more durable than either of my first two sweaters, and it's delightfully soft and huggable.
My only mod was to knit the sleeves in the round. If I'd been thinking, I would have done a three-needle bind-off at the shoulder seams to reduce bulk.


I was so delighted to finish this cardigan that I went for a walk the moment I'd finished taking these pictures in the last gasp of daylight. Actually, it was more like I took the sweater for a walk. I absolutely strutted my way down the street with that goofy, geeky look on my face that says, "Hey, I made this. Hi! Hello there, did you know I made my sweater?"



Buttons to come. The shirt underneath is a new acquisition from Parts & Labor. Austinites should pay them a visit, if they haven't already.

One other recommendation: I'm not someone who's hooked on the knitting podcasts, but I found one that I really enjoy: Y KNIT, by two dudes. They're only on their third episode, so get in on the ground floor!

5 comments:

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

Hee,hee. I get it - GreenGo.

It looks great. I would just use the shawl pin and skip the buttons. (Or is that a knitting needle?)

Gena said...

Oooo! I love it, and the color is wonderful! Although I may be biased because I am knitting a sweater in a very similar color.

Anonymous said...

What an incredible sweater! You did an amazing job...I know you said buttons are coming, but the pin really works, too.

Erin said...

I love seeing sweaters knit that I haven't seen before. I love the fit, style, and color of this sweater. Beautiful!

lekkercraft said...

Oh it looks great and snuggly! I like the length of the sleeves. Mine are right between that nice 3/4 length and longsleeve, and it just kind of looks like a mistake. I like your guy's idea of the wooden buttons--it would look really nice with that color of green.